What do you wear to a rave? This is a question that many first-time ravers have as this is required for the overall experience. Let’s just say that you do not want to go in a suit and dress shoes to a rave for many important reasons. Instead, you need to formulate your rave outfit by either purchasing a rave costume or utilizing clothing to pull off the look you are going for. More and more people are becoming aware of this as you can see by the Google Trends graph below:
So what is a rave? First off, it’s important to note that the term “rave” has multiple synonyms such as rave dance and/or rave party. All of these words are speaking towards the gathering of thousands of people who dance to high energy dance music (the most popular are; Trance, House, Electro, Techno, etc. )
Rave’s are well known for not only their music, but also their light shows. It is common to see glow sticks lighting up the venue and LED lights flashing amongst the crowds. These are used as accompaniments to the ravers and adds to the overall mood of the night.
However, perhaps the most important element of the rave itself is the Rave Costume, or outfit/clothing that you decide to wear. As we mentioned in our EDC Costume Idea article, it is most important that you find a rave costume that not only fits the look that you are going for, but also is comfortable for you to move and groove in.
Below are some of the most important elements to a rave costume:
- Think: Color. Rave Costumes are all about bright colors to accompany all of the lighting and music. When you think of raves, you do not think of dark, somber clothing. Instead, you think of happiness, love, and peace.
- Think: Character. Rave Costumes should have character to them and really embody the look and attitude that you are going for. In other words, you want your costume to tell a meaning and to represent yourself. Whether this is wearing a movie costume or perhaps a hippie costume, let it help you to get into the mood.
- Think: Unique. Rave Costumes are unique in that everyone wants to stand out and be different. You want people to notice you. You want to be different. You want to steal the show from the other thousands of Ravers by your side.
- Think: Over the top. Rave Costumes are not subtle costumes that you might wear to a family birthday party. No. Raves allow you to escape the realities of everyday life and as a result you should choose a costume that you would not normally wear.
- Think: Comfort. Perhaps the most important element should be that Rave Costumes need to be comfortable. You need to think comfort because you will be moving all over and you do not want to get any blisters or irritation from the costume that you choose which might spoil the night. At the end of the night you do not want to be saying “my rave costume hurts”, but rather, “That was the best Rave ever!”
The above are just some things to consider when choosing your Rave Costume. There is no right or wrong when it comes to choosing a costume for raves so be open-minded and take a chance. Fellow ravers will respect you for being different and who knows, maybe you will start a fad of your own.
Costume Nation encourages you to send us pictures of your Rave Costumes after you dance the night away! We would love to share the creative, fun, and happy vibes that they will surely bring.